Do I really need to run background checks on everyone? I have known my whole VBS team for years!
Even if you feel you’ve known everyone on your VBS team, there’s no good excuse not to run background checks on everyone. Here’s why:
- It’s a simple tool to help you discern who is best suited to volunteer with children.
- Extra help, who you don’t know, may volunteer: from kids’ parents to a person hired to drive a bus. Requiring background checks for everyone will ensure that those from outside your church don’t feel hurt that they were the only ones who got screened.
- Requiring background checks for everyone will deter those with ill-intent from volunteering in the first place.
OK, I see I need to do background checks. But do I have time to get this done before my VBS?
If your VBS is more than a few days away. You still have time.
The Old Way: Gone are the days of the 6-plus-weeks-long background check process. It used to take church secretaries hours to sit down with each volunteer, collect highly sensitive and personal information, fill out the forms, and then wait weeks for something to be approved. It’s apparent why some churches were tempted to “wing-it” and “trust their gut” or just allow anyone to help, especially in a pinch.
The New, Easy Way: But today, because online background check providers can return a check in 24 hours, there’s no longer a “good excuse” not to run background checks. Plus, online background check providers also allow volunteers to fill out their own information, so your church no longer has to collect or store it. Saving you even more time.
And your ministry can save money.
There is a small cost associated with each background check (far outweighed by the benefit of keeping your kids safe). With Verified Volunteers, you can help preserve your budget by allowing (or requiring) volunteers to pay for all or part of their screening – or asking for an optional contribution. Our clients report saving an average of 30% on screening thanks to volunteer contributions.
Great! How doe background screening work?
With Servant Keeper and our background check partner, Verified Volunteers, it’s easy!
- Pull a list of volunteers in Servant Keeper.
- Click “request check,” and Verified Volunteers sends the volunteer an email to complete their check.
- You’re done! You’ll be notified in 24 hours (typically), and the result will go straight to Servant Keeper.
It’s so fast that a parent who volunteers to help on the first day of your VBS can be approved to help by day two!